Health Profession Corporation Information
A Denturist may incorporate their practice as a health profession corporation under Part 4 of the Health Professions Act and Part IX of the College's bylaws. A health profession corporation may not carry on business unless it holds a valid Health Professions Corporation permit from the College of Denturists of British Columbia.
- Apply to the BC Registrar Service to reserve your proposed corporate name(s).
- The Results of Name Request may have a condition stating that it needs the College of Denturists of BC's consent.
- Send the College of Denturists of BC a copy of the Results of Name Request.
- If appropriate, the College will send a letter to BC Registry Services.
- Apply to the BC Registrar Services to register your corporation under the BC Business Corporations Act . You may want to obtain legal or accounting advice about how to structure your corporation. College staff cannot offer legal advice about tax matters or how to structure your corporation.
- All of the voting shares of the corporation must be legally and beneficially owned by registered Denturists. See section 43(1)(c) of the Health Professions Act .
- Non-voting shares may be owned by a variety of specified individuals, including you, your spouse, your common law spouse, your children and any other relatives who live with you. See section 43(1)(d) of the Health Professions Act.
- It is a good idea to include, in your articles of incorporation, provisions for the immediate automatic disposition of shares to qualified shareholders.
- Once your corporation has been registered under the BC Business Corporations Act , you may apply for a permit. Please forward to the College:
- A completed Health Professions Corporation (HPC) Permit application form.
- A true copy of the Certificate of Incorporation from the BC Registrar Services, and any change of name certificate.
- A copy of the Notice of Articles of the corporation.
- A copy of the Central Securities Register that sets out the shareholders of the corporation.
- The $50.00 HPC permit fee, plus GST ($52.50), by cheque or money order made payable to the College of Denturists of BC.
- If your application is complete and complies with the Act and bylaws, the Registrar will issue a health profession corporation permit entitling your corporation to carry on the business of providing dentures to the public and to advertise under this name as well as your license name(s).
- If you intend to change the name of your health profession corporation, you must apply to the College for a new permit, and supply a Certificate of Change of Name and a current Central Securities Register. If the new name complies with the Act and bylaws, the Registrar will issue a new permit.
- The president of the corporation, or his or her designate, must promptly advise the College, in writing, of any changes to the information that was contained in the HPC application.