Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Denturist?

Denturists are primary health care providers, formally trained in both non-surgical intraoral and laboratory procedures. They are licensed members of the oral health care team. Denturists provide a variety of services, including:

  • Assess, by oral examination, and treat persons missing some or all of their natural teeth.
  • Make, repair, reline, replace or furnish compete dentures.
  • In accordance with a prescription, make or furnish partial dentures, overdentures and dentures on implants.
  • Reline, replace teeth, or make repairs to partial dentures and overdentures.

How do I know if I am receiving care from a licensed Denturist?

To practice Denturism in British Columbia, Denturists must be licensed and registered with the College of Denturists of British Columbia. To see a list of licensed Denturists, please visit the "Denturist" tab on this website or click here.

Why is it important to obtain services from only registered or licensed health professionals?

Without registration or licensing from a College, you have no way of ensuring that the person providing health services has had appropriate training, education, or subject to standards that ensure safe care. While members of the public can bring concerns about a regulated health professional directly to their college, complaints about unregulated care providers are harder to deal with and sometimes may only be dealt with by an employer or through the courts.

Where can I get training to become a Denturist?

You can receive training to become a Denturist at the following Canadian institutes:

  • Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
  • George Brown College
  • CDI College

My dental training was received outside of Canada, how do I apply to the College of Denturists of British Columbia to become a licensed Denturist?

Please visit the 'Application Information' tab on this website or click here.

How do I file a complaint against a Denturist?

Please visit the 'Complaints & Concerns' tab on this website or click here.

How do I request a review of an inquiry or registration decision issued by the College of Denturists of BC?

The provincial government has set up an independent administrative tribunal called the Health Professions Review Board to review certain registration and inquiry decisions of self-governing, health regulatory colleges in British Columbia. For more information, please visit

Can I attend a College of Denturists of BC Board meeting?

Yes, all meetings of the Board are open to Registrants and to the public.

What is the difference between the Denturist Association of British Columbia and the College of Denturists of British Columbia?

The Denturist Association of BC is a member services organization with a mandate to serve the interests of Denturists in British Columbia. The College of Denturists of BC is a public services organization with a mandate to serve and protect the citizens of British Columbia.

What is a Regulatory College?

Despite the more common use of the name, it isn't a type of school. Established under provincial law, Colleges exist to regulate professions in the public interest and to ensure that services provided by those professionals are done so in a safe, ethical, and knowledgeable manner. In BC, there are 23 individual colleges regulating 23 different health care professionals.

How do Regulatory Colleges work?

Colleges are responsible for setting and enforcing the standards, or rules, of their professions. Under BC law, our mandate is to serve and protect the public. Each College has a Board which includes members elected by its peers and at least two public members appointed by the government. Members of the profession and the public are also involved in College complaints, discipline processes and other committees.

What is self-regulation?

Self-regulation means that the government has delegated its regulatory functions to those who have the specialized knowledge necessary to do the job. The granting of self-regulation acknowledges a profession's members are capable of governing themselves. This is done so on the condition that the profession's College regulates in the interests of the public.

Colleges are distinct from organizations that represent their members. These organizations come in the form of associations or unions that advocate for the economic, employment, professional and political interests of their members.